Meagher County, Montana - official site - government listings - elections - extension - weeds - boards - treasurer - county health - school superintendent - clerk & recorder

Meagher County, Montana

Contact Us | (406) 547-3612
15 West Main Street - White Sulphur Springs, MT 59645

Table of contents


Driver's Licenses

Tax information

Motor vehicles

Meagher County Treasurer

Location: County Courthouse (15 W. Main)
Mailing Address: PO Box 429, White Sulphur Springs, MT  59645
Contact Information:

Treasurer:  Shauna Porter - (406) 547-3026 • email:
Deputy Treasurer:  Maura Kusek - (406) 547-3027 • email:
Motor Vehicle:  Amanda Plachy - (406) 547-3025 • email:
Fax# (406) 547-3036

Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm.
We are open through the lunch hour for your convenience.


You can now pay for your Taxes and/or Motor Vehicle Registration with a credit or a debit card. There is a 3% Fee for using your card.

You may log into or call 1-800-272-9829. You
will need the following information to complete your online payment:

  1. Jurisdiction Code: 3627
  2. Your Tax ID Number or Title Number
  3. The total amount that you owe

You will receive a confirmation number, please let us know that number so we can process your payment.WITHOUT YOUR RETURN CALL OR E-MAIL TO US, WE DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO APPLY THE MONEY!
Credit Cards accepted are: Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.


Drivers License Examiner comes the 1st Wednesday of the month from 10:00-2:30. Closed for lunch 12:00 to 12:30.

When the 1st Wednesday falls on a Holiday, the examiner will not be here for that month.
If you are coming from out-of-town you may want to call to make sure he will be here.

Receipts must be bought in the Treasurer’s Office at the Courthouse. Tests and renewals are done at City Hall once you have purchased your receipt.

New Residents:

Individuals with out-of-state license who wish to obtain a Montana driver’s license must:

Apply for a Montana driver license within 60 days of moving to the state if seeking a non-commercial driver license and within 30 days if you need a commercial license.

You must provide the required documents:

  1.  Proof of identity (valid driver license, social security card)
  2.  Proof of Montana residence
  3.  Proof of authorized presence (green card, birth certificate)

You may also be required to pass written and driving tests, in addition to a vision test. However, driver examiners may at their discretion waive the written and driving test for individuals who have in their possession a valid license issued by another state.

Montana Residents:

Your driver license expires on your birthday, but you may purchase your receipt up to six months in advance. Purchasing your receipt does not make you legal to drive after your license expires. By purchasing your receipt in advance of your license expiring, this gives the examiner the right to waive your written, and/or driving exam at his discretion if presented within the required timeline.

 If you have any other questions in regards to this you may call the Livingston Examiner at 1-406-222-4610 or check this website for further information:


2016 Real Estate Taxes: 1st half due - December 30 , 2016 • 2nd half due - May 31, 2017

Mobile Home Taxes: 1st half due -July 31, 2016 • 2nd half due -November 30, 2016

Personal Property Taxes: Payment due - July 31, 2016

On these dates our office stays open until 5:00 p.m. for your convenience.

Please call for any additional penalty and interest that you may owe. This will prevent your payment from being rejected and for additional interest accruing. This could save you money in the long run. If the amount we receive is not correct, your payment cannot be posted, and we will mail you a request for the additional amount.

Please make sure we have a current / correct mailing address. You could lose your property to someone taking a tax assignment if you do not keep your taxes current. Unknown addresses are the biggest reason for this happening.

If you are paying by mail, please be sure to put your tax ID number on your check or mail in your tax stubs.

For any and all questions relating to property values, please contact the Department of Revenue. Ray Massee is our DOR representative, and will be here every Wednesday from 8:00 - 4:00. You may reach DOR any time at 1-406-444-1700.


There are several options you can access for renewing your vehicle registration:

To title a vehicle that has been purchased from a dealer:

The dealer will mail the paperwork to us. Please check with our office before your 40-Day sticker is up to see if we have your paperwork. If we do not have it, you will be advised to check with the dealer you purchased the vehicle from. It is their responsibility to get the paperwork to us. If you have purchased a commercial vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Weight over 50,000 lbs, we will need to see a copy of your Heavy Use Tax.

To title a vehicle that has been purchased from another individual:

You must have a notarized title from the person you are buying the vehicle from. You may request a 40-day sticker from us if you do not have the title yet, but have a notarized Bill of Sale. You will be required to title & license the vehicle as soon as the 40-day sticker expires. Only one 40-day sticker may be issued to you for a particular vehicle.

Titling an Out-of-State vehicle:

You must provide this office with your out-of-state title. If there is a lien on the vehicle, you must also provide us with a copy of the lien filing from the lending institution. Getting this information is your responsibility; however, we do have a form requesting lien information from your lender if you need it.

Lien Information:

In order for a lien to be released, we must have a lien release from the Financial Institution.

Further information about registering and titling vehicles in Montana, may be found on this website

Home | Departments | Boards | Elections | Minutes | Maps | Links | Department Head Contact | Site Map

Contact Clerk & Recorder | Contact Commissioners | Contact Treasurer | Contact Sheriff